<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 23

Ron's at it again
The St Pauli tour has parallels with West Bromwich Albion's tour of China in 1978, where one of the Albion players John Trewick remarked "You've seen one wall, you've seen them all".

The Albion manager during that tour was Big Ron Atkinson, who was in the news this weekend, pissing away the last remains of his reputation by again making racist comments, this time about Chinese women.

He is alleged to have said: "The Chinese people have the best contraception in the world - but I can't understand why there's so many of them because their women are so ugly."

Ron has again distinguished himself by not actually apologising for his racist comments. Defending himself, he said:

"I cannot believe anyone has complained about anything I said. I went there to help them out and to raise money. I stayed for ages and did photographs. I can't believe this - I just can't believe this. I can't say anything now. I've been ultra-careful about everything. It was an easy evening and everyone enjoyed themselves."

A spokesman for anti-racism campaign Kick It Out said: "This stuff is poisonous really. Essentially he really doesn't understand what he is doing in making these comments. They are deeply offensive."