Thursday, December 30
2004 is all over, so it's time for the results from the Great Barr jury.
Single of the year
10. !!! – Hello Is This Thing On?
A swirling punk-funk masterpiece.
Listen to the track
9. Art Brut – Formed A Band
An art-punk Busted for grown ups...but in a good way.
Listen to the track
8. Interpol – Slow Hands
A slow burner, straight into your soul. Plus Paul Banks has an excellent range of hats.
7. The Walkmen – The Rat
Passionate, bitter, resentful. I don't know who this song is about but I wouldn't like to be them.
6. The Others – This Is For The Poor
An anthem for somebody or other...
5. The Killers – Mr Brightside
They were debated on Newsnight Review and slagged of by Germaine Greer, what more of a recommendation do you need?
4. Bloc Party – Helicopter
They will be kings.
3. Franz Ferdinand – Take Me Out
Essentially, two seperate songs welded together with a blowtorch belonging to Josef K.
2. LCD Soundsystem – Yeah
James Murphy is a genius.
1. Gwen Stefani – What You Waiting For?
Quite simply the best pop song released this year and perhaps even this Millennium.
Birmingham bus route of the year.
5. 79 - Birmingham - Wolverhampton
4. 61/62/63 - Birmingham - Selly Oak
3. 45/47 - Birmimngham - Edgbaston
2. 16a Scott Arms - Birmingham (via Hamstead)
1. 951 Walsall - Birmingham (express)
Gig of the year
5. Radio4 @ Birmingham Academy 2
4. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ Wolverhampton Civic Hall
3. !!! @ Roskilde Festival, Denmark
2. The Faint + Sunshine @ Berlin Magnet Club
1. PJ Harvey @ Oxford Zodiac
City of the year
Sports personality of the year
5. Robbie Savage (Birmingham City)
4. Quinten Hann (For making snooker rock 'n' roll)
3. Ian Holloway (QPR Manager)
2. Thierry Cruybeeck (For breaking the course record in the final of the British Open Minigolf in Stratford)
1. Andy Fordham (For winning the World Darts Championship and eating all the pies.
Film of the year
5. Napoleon Dynamite
4. Farenheit 9/11
3. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
2. Lost In Translation
1. 21 Grams