<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 26

Teenage dreams so hard to beat, every time you walk down the street
I guess everyone has their own John Peel story - he's the kind of person who inspired that kind of thing. Mine is that I briefly met him in Birmingham during 2001's 'Sound City' event. Pulp and Meanwhile Back in Communist Russia were playing (both now split up) and he was compering. On my way to the venue John walked out of a car park and asked me for directions. After I told him the way he said something along the lines of 'Thank you very much young man'. Ten minutes later he was on stage introducing the first band. I seem to recall he was wearing a tweed jacket - it's funny the details you remember.

Here's a very nice article by Mark Radcliffe

And one by Paul Morley

John Peel 1939 - 2004