<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 19

So i'm back in Birmingham for Christmas - woohoo. I never thought i'd see Birmingham as a big cosmopolitan city, but after 3 months in Preston, that's exactly what it is. I'm afraid England's newest city is just about lacking in everything compared to Birmingham - apart from of course Barm Cakes

I just watched a repeat of Room 101 on UK Gold where John Peel - esteemed Radio God was saying that men don't get colds - they get Flu! and just sit around moaning all day. Well yes I have a cold so I couldn't go to the My Ruin gig tonight. Oh Well

Well as I have just left Preston, I feel it is my duty to update you all on the parking situation which is so dominant in everyday Preston life.

For those of you not in the know about all things parking and Preston - WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?
In Preston, parking is what may be called in Partridgesque local radio circles a 'hot local issue'. There is very little parking anywhere in the (AHEM) city, especially near the university - where I live. Needless to say the local residents are "up in arms" (TM all local newspapers ever) and there has been "Parking chaos" on the streets on Preston.

Here's the delicious irony - there is only one full-time traffic warden in the whole of Preston - his name is John, number 702. He's a no nonsense kind of guy, firm but fair - all the qualities you would look for in you ideal Traffic Warden - were you ever to be on a committee or something.

Well dear reader, who broke this shocking news first?
It was your humble narrator, who published it a full 9 days before the Lancashire Evening Post nicked my story! - where have the ethics gone in tinpot local journalism?

What I also learned from interviewing John (number 702) -aside from the fact that he can smell a car parked on a double yellow from up to a mile away - is that when he retires in April, there will be a full month of there being no traffic warden until the clamp-happy private company take over in June.
I hereby label this 'window of reckless parking opportunity' THE GREAT PRESTON PARKING TIMEBOMB!

So what are the Council planning to do to ease Preston's parking nightmares?
That's right, build a new multistory...
Where are they going to build it?
Right outside my back garden!

Is my parking karma catching up with me?
Or are there more sinister forces at work?
Do I sense the hand the local paper or the council in this decision? - Trying to make me pay for exposing this Preston parking scandal

Don't worry dear reader - your trusty narrator will find out...